Nord Dakota Herold–Print Shop

This reproduction print shop houses many pieces of printing equipment used by the North Dakota Herold and The Dickinson Press.  The North Dakota Herold was the successor to the Nord Dakota Herold.

The Nord Dakota Herold, a German weekly newspaper, was first published in Dickinson in 1911 by John Nadolski and Adolph Lengowski. Over time it grew to be a very popular publication that was read not only by German-speaking immigrants to the United States, but also by people in South America, Canada and Europe. In addition to printing the newspaper, Nadolski and Lengowski used their printing equipment for other various printing jobs.

With the outbreak of World War II and the associated anti-German sentiment in the United States, the Nord Dakota Herold changed its name to the North Dakota Herold. Adolph Lengowski died August 16, 1943. His two sons, Albert and George, took over printing the newspaper as well as the printing business. The North Dakota Herold was discontinued in 1960, but the Lengowski’s continued the printing business which included printing such items as the Dickinson State College paper, the Knights of Columbus Reporter, books, pamphlets, leaflets, and advertisements.

*This building is accessible to visitors with disabilities.

 

This site is protected by Comment SPAM Wiper.